Ekaterinburg Russia. Ekaterinburg History. Part I
History of Ekaterinburg, Russia. Foundation
Ekaterinburg of Russia began its history in 1723. Ekaterinburg was founded as a plant-fortress by the order of Peter the Great.
The main aim was to turn the future city into the mining center. Thus construction of the plant on the Iset River began. So this plant gave birth to a new town, Ekaterinburg. The plant’s construction began in summer, 1723. Except this plant other buildings were constructed on the territory of the fortress. There were rows of shops, a church, a school, about 300 small houses and the building of Mining Chancellery that controlled all the Ural and Siberian plants.
Dam on the Iset River - the main construction of the Ekaterinburg plant – exists from the city’s foundation till nowadays. Today this place of interest of Ekaterinburg is a marvelous memorial of industrial heritage of the 18th century and a part of Historical Square. Besides the dam, some buildings of the ironworks also remained. Nowadays, the Ural Nature Museum and the open air Museum of Machinery are situated here.
In 1725, the mint was constructed, on the territory of the plant, copper coins for the whole Russia were minted here during one and a half centuries. One year later, the lapidary factory was built near the dam. At first it presented a small workshop where semiprecious stones were worked up. However, very soon, production of that workshop obtained recognition all over the world for its high artistic level and high-class quality of work.
Famous decorative vases, bowls, monuments and other wares made of semiprecious Ural stones, such as malachite, jasper, rhodonite, and marble were created on the Ekaterinburg lapidary factory, which were used for decoration of Saint-Petersburg palaces and cathedrals. Ekaterinburg cutters created the map of France. It was made of semiprecious stones and exhibited on the World Exhibition in Paris, in 1900. In 1937, for another Exhibition in Paris, Ural masters created a grand map of the USSR. It was also made of semiprecious Ural stones and won hearts of the audience. In 1930-s, the Kremlin’s ruby stars were made at the lapidary factory in Ekaterinburg. Nowadays many masterpieces of the factory masters are exhibited in the Moscow Fine Arts Museum.
In 1781 Ekaterinburg got an official status of a city and two years later the Senate approved its emblem.